My Store: CKDK Apparel

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Should I Become A Mentor?"

               A Checklist To Help You


As you consider the possibility of serving as a mentor, it is time to stop and ask "Should I become a mentor?" I designed a checklist below to help you out. The checklist provides a description of the qualities that are most often thought to be conducive to successful mentoring. Successful mentors generally have many of the qualities listed here, along with other valuable qualities that are not listed but that are unique to them as individuals. Space is provided at the conclusion of this checklist for respondents to add those qualities that represent their unique or special assets to mentoring.
To use the checklist, respondents should read each statement and place an X in the appropriate column which represents the degree to which the statement characterizes the way the respondent sees themself. After ranking each statement (1) Strongly Agree that the statement is representative; (2) Agree; (3) Neutral; (4) Disagree; and (5) Strongly Disagree, respondents may reflect on their own strengths and weaknesses. There is no single "ideal profile,” but respondents who possess many of these qualities are likely to serve well as mentors. If one has serious doubts about the strength of their own qualifications, it might be useful to get a second opinion from a colleague who knows you well..

        Strongly = 1    Agree = 2     Neutral = 3     Disagree Agree = 4      Strongly Disagree Agree = 5

                                                                              

1.  I see myself as being people-oriented;       ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     I like and enjoy working with other

     professionals.

2.  I am a good listener and respect my          ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     colleagues.

3.  I am sensitive to the needs and feelings     ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     of others.

4.  I recognize when others need support or      ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     independence.

5.  I want to contribute to the professional     ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     development of others and to share

     what I have learned.

6.  I am able to support and help without        ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     smothering, parenting or taking charge.

7.  I see myself generally as flexible and       ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     willing to adjust my personal schedule to

     meet the needs of someone else.

8.  I usually am patient and tolerant when       ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     teaching someone.

9. I am confident and secure in my knowledge    ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     of the field and make an effort to remain

     up-to-date.

10. Others look to me for information about my   ___    ___    ___     ___      ___

     subject matter and methods that I use.

Posted via email from Kay Kelison's Digital-Log

No comments: